Monday, September 9, 2013

Plum Overload.

I don't mean to complain about the bounty of the land, but while the guys were removing the tree (no roots!), Jesse discovered another plum tree. I think between the two, we have 1000 plums. I should have been excited, but after a week of juicing, blending, canning, and freezing, I was realizing just a small bit of the work that's involved in farming.

We gave some away at the end of the road, gave some to neighbors, invited friends to come take, and came back with a cooler full to give to Portland neighbors. Next year we will be prepared!

Plums don't travel well, so I'm not sure it's the right crop to send to the food bank, but giving back a percentage of the yield will be a high priority as we get more organized.

We spent the next day with our Portland friends exploring the land and eating fruit to our hearts content. The second plum tree proved to be a great climbing tree, and we climbed as high as we could go to pick plums.




In the meantime, the farmer was getting ready for the next Harvest. D'Anjou, I believe. It's funny. I haven't had one pear since we moved here. Everything else has been fair game, but for some reason, the pears don't interest me. I like pears, I think maybe it's the sheer volume that's intimidating.




Look who I found hanging out on the trampoline...



M drew me a picture and made a shooting star from a leaf and flower...



Jesse busted up another stump,



Our friends found animal bones in the forest and my son enjoyed playing with them (I HOPE they're animal bones),






We picked more grapes,



And harvested those seeds.




Then my friend came out, saw what we were doing, and informed me that the plants are poisonous. So the kids went inside to wash hands, I prayed that I didn't poison them, felt very itchy, and googled the plant name.

Skin irritation is the worst I came up with, which caused me to feel even itchier. There's a lesson there.

Then we headed to Double Mountain with our friend Jeff, who came down for the day.




We closed out the day with smores over a firepit and said goodbye to our friends.




No comments:

Post a Comment