Monday, September 16, 2013

Happy Anniversary to US - 7 years and going strong and a trip to the forest

The next morning, with our friends gone, we invited our new neighbors over for breakfast. We made shakes from ice cubes, white peaches, plums, and grapes, and cooked up some eggs and biscuits.

After breakfast, we went back to plum picking. The kids are so helpful.





Then we headed up the mountain to the forest. I was ready to see what lies beyond the tree line. I was confident that there are no bears in that forest, because everyone told me so.

What they did warn me about, is the proliferation of Poison Oak. It's everywhere. If I rent some goats and set them free in the forest, will they come back?

As we were heading through the trail, I couldn't believe that we were the owners of all this land. It felt like a fairy tale. Lush, green, trees everywhere. I also felt a great need to garden it - to clear all the dead brush and make it cleaner. I also realized how much of the land we bought is extremely sloped mountainside. I guess we really didn't buy 45 acres, it's more like 20 acres with a forested mountainside. If I had hiked this forest before, would it have changed my mind? Maybe, but I think I would have been sorry if we were not here now.




As we rounded the bend, suddenly two large animals ran up from below. At first I thought they were peacocks, but soon realized they were giant, goofy wild turkeys. They stopped, took one look at us, and hightailed it out of there. I think one of them even yelled, "oh shit!"





After we made it down the hill, our favorite babysitter showed up. She was going to watch the kids that night, and do the cross channel swim the next day. A 1-1/2 mile swim across the Columbia River from Washington to Oregon. Impressive!

http://hoodriver.org/events-festivals/chamber-events/cross-channel-swim

First thing we did was head down to Doppio for some coffee shakes. Yum Yum. After a hard day on the farm, it's our go-to drink.



Then we took in a little SUP on the Columbia.




It was our anniversary and Jesse had made reservations at 3 Rivers Cafe, a very charming restaurant in an old house with expansive decking overlooking the Columbia River. It has a great atmosphere and a friendly staff. I think we would return for drinks sometime. Deckside on a summer night and the cozy bar on a cold, winter night.

After dinner, we went to a local park that overlooks the river. Under a gazebo, we sat by a trio playing old time music and singing. It was the perfect atmosphere for a romantic night out.

Then we headed down to a local bar for some live music. It's called River City Saloon, and boy did we find the party! Super awesome cover band. I wish I could remember the name of the band, but they're local and they brought the party. We watched wedding party after wedding party walk in dancing and ready to go. So fun!

http://www.rivercitysaloon.com/band-calendar.html



No comments:

Post a Comment