Monday, September 16, 2013

Back in Portland, bribery and first week of school.

Time to get ready for school.

First stop, Modern Man Barber Shop on Alberta. Their regular place was closed for a picnic (because it's Portland, it's not weird), and I promised Ice Cream in exchange for haircuts. This place screams manly man. Whiskey room, taxidermy, Maxim magazine, punching bag, and bratwurst - otherwise known as the Alpha Male hangout.

http://themodernmanpdx.com/

The Modern Man specializes in both a traditional and a hipster look. If your son is ready for his first shave ever, this is a great place to go. It's a ritualistic experience, as evidenced by any man sitting in a barber chair. All business.



Goodbye, Fabio jr., Hello, American preschooler.

My daughter, who was supposed to get a trim, because she plans to be Rapunzel and have hair to the ground, ended up with layers all over. I was speechless and horrified as it was happening. But had to keep a smile on my face because she was reading my face the entire time to see my reaction. All that hair, on the ground. In the end, I will say that it's super flattering and much easier to maintain. But I will not be making a wig for myself out of her hair now, and for that, the barber shop owes me big time. I also think it's time to make an appointment for myself at this place, soon. 

This is how I got the kids to do it:



First Grader gift from mom. Bought an antique entry table on Craig's List for about $150 (if you had seen the before, you would say $50 max), then had a local guy who is an expert in French Polish, refinish the table. I added some thrift store "princess" lamps and the baby blanket my sister knitted for my daughter. Pretty nice, don't you think?



I'm going to give this guy a plug. He did a phenomenal job for such a reasonable price, and he truly loves his antiques. He ironed down the veneer that was buckling, pulled off all the dull varnish and completely polished this baby. He refers to furniture as "she" and "her". No question he loves his craft. Please tell him I sent you!

Wouldn't you say this is better than new?

Bello Antico
Michael Cowan
(503) 997-5335
belloantico@comcast.net


Tried to make more plum jam, but I literally spend hours at the stove for something that ends up more like sauce or syrup. Either I need to make peace with pectin or give up.


Had a date night with some friends at Ava Gene's. I believe this is the #5 best new restaurant in America right now, according to Bon Appetit, and super hard to get into. Because our friends are regulars (as in every single weekend), they were able to add 2 to the table. Yay, Jill! I love you!

Another fabulous and successful restaurant by Duane Sorenson of Stumptown Coffee. Everything he touches turns to gold.

http://www.avagenes.com/

While we were at dinner, we saw a Blutbad (from Grimm) at the bar. So exciting! Hello Monroe! We are going to stare at you the entire meal! Poor guy, we tried to play it cool...

We ended the weekend down the street at a block party. Potluck, closed street, kids everywhere, making memories.

No comments:

Post a Comment