Tuesday, July 23, 2013

Hoarding has its virtues (otherwise known as moving day)

Monday was moving day! I was a frantic mess, trying to sort between what stays and what goes, and how to manage movers who needed to empty a storage unit, a garage, and various things from our house. Jesse asked, "why are we doing this again?" "do we need all this?" This is something I reminded him the rest of the weekend, as he enjoyed sitting in chairs, eating off plates, and drying his body after his shower!

The Smooth Move movers met me at the storage unit at 9:00 a.m. Why did I have a storage unit? Two years of fantasizing about what our farm house would be like translated into two years of picking up things here and there. What we did end up taking to Goodwill in an effort to downsize ended up to be things we wished we still had once we were there.














These guys took their time. I had it pretty planned out, since they were charging $85/hour. They would show up, spend 1/2 an hour to an hour emptying the 10x10 storage unit, spend 30 minutes loading up the items from the garage, one hour of drive time and one hour of unloading. Surely we would top out at $300 including tip. The one thing I didn't count on was that even though I was paying for 2 guys, one guy would always disappear into the truck for 30-45 minutes and I would be the 2nd guy, hauling things from the unit and the house. They ended up taking the entire day, charging us a total of $750, and then suggesting several times that gratuity is encouraged but not required. Yes, we did end up tipping, and even bought them lunch, because at that point I had let it go and given in to what I couldn't control.

I will say that they managed to do a pretty good job of keeping everything in one piece. And luckily, everything managed to find a home in the new place. Would I hire them again? Yeah.

Mrs. K, the seller of the farm, and T left us a nice housewarming gift, along with Julie, our agent. Fresh blueberries, local wine and handcrafted beer were some of our favorites. 




We also found this on the back porch. Something that became very valuable that week!




No comments:

Post a Comment