Sunday, July 28, 2013

First Night and First Day

Have you seen the previews recently for the horror film that takes place on a remote farm? If not, how have you managed to avoid it? Just the previews alone are enough to scar someone for a long time. Our first night at the farm was a night where I might have slept about 30 minutes, lights on.

How to relay those fears to Jesse without giving the kids something to think about was no easy task either. So I kept a light on all night, and tried not to look down the hall at all the dark doors closed in the dark hallway.

I should note that this house has very very good Karma. It's not like the house is haunted or anything. It's a very nice house, from a very nice family. I just have a problem with the first few weeks or so in new places. You know, getting used to the sounds of a new place. I've never lived in a house that was less than 80 years old, and it's always the same experience. I'm scared, I don't go in the basement or attic, and I don't sleep. Only one time did I actually ever experience a ghost, and it was in a friend's house in the Heights in Houston. My sister will back up that claim, as she had the same experience. It was pretty tame...a woman walking the hall in the middle of the night. Now old houses on the east coast, that's a different story. There are some amazing, seriously old houses over there, but some of the stories...whew.

The first full day in our house, I decided to surprise Jesse with a full farmer experience. I hired the local eco guy to come remove the 500 gallon gasoline tank on the property that had not been properly decommissioned. Which means, gas could have been building in the tank, possibly resulting in a random explosion. Eric, the eco guy, called a friend, a local guy to come backhoe the dirt out and remove the tank.

The backhoe guy's name is John. Here's John:




















John was really good at using the backhoe. When he arrived bright and early on Tuesday, everybody ran out to see the action. he dug that giant tank out of the ground and crushed it. We left it for the local scrap metal guy. Then he asked if we had any dirt to backfill. Why yes we did, a little random hill in the middle of the yard, and poof, two things taken care of at once.

I was so thrilled with the whole experience, I asked him if he could return to help us get some of our fields ready to plant, to which he replied, "ma'am, this is just my toy. I split my time between here, Mexico, and Maui, so I'm not here much. But give me a call if I can help sometime."


Another wind surfer enthusiast. Seems like no matter how old or young you are, if you live in Hood River, you're here for the wind!

Bye Bye, John!





















We set up some lawn chairs to get a nice view of the mountain. We spent a lot of time in those chairs that week.




















Later that day, we went to our favorite waterfront park. Jesse scaled the tallest mountain in the land...





















then, helped the kids up too!




 We finished off the day with a nice dinner at Brian's Pourhouse. Happy Birthday, Jesse! Way to do it in style!






No comments:

Post a Comment