Thursday, October 10, 2013

Another day brings relief!

So imagine this house completely stripped of paint, rotten shingles replaced (porch), and trim painted white. Can you see it?

Check it out. Heyyyy, not bad! We have a roof, more paint has been stripped, and I dare say, not a speck of paint on the ground.



Here is my inspiration:

First photo courtesy of Robert Young Architecture and Interiors.

http://ryarch.com

Totally my aesthetic. I had attempted to marry an asphalt and metal roof when the top roof came off, but the local planning department turned me down (even one that matches the main roof color exactly!). Our house is in a national scenic area and has many restrictions. I'm not giving up. Metal roof lifespan - 50 years, recyclable. Shingle roof lifespan - 15 years, can be downcycled, but it's like plastic - it eventually becomes landfill.


This next photo has me excited, because, though our shingles aren't stained, this door color matches the color I'd like to paint the front door. We won't be staining the house. Weathering the shingles naturally is the lowest maintenance option, which sounds good to me!

Blue door, white frames, maybe barn red yellow frames. Husband says that's too patriotic. Hey, isn't a farmhouse totally Americana?

I also like a glossy black door, but maybe not with brown shingles. Glossy yellow?


Pretty color...



Look what I found outside. Feathers. There are a few round holes in the eaves. The feathers weren't moving, but I did hear something. Other holes are stuffed with rags. Fun.



No comments:

Post a Comment