Friday, August 23, 2013

Plums and a date with my Husband


The plums are ripe and DELICIOUS. We had fun picking them. Mrs. K said that her husband's dad brought the tree over from Wisconsin. I'm not sure what type of plums these are, but they put my little plum tree in Portland to SHAME. Firm, sweet, and the pit just falls from the meat.


While we were harvesting the plums, Jesse was hard at work fighting an old stump on the other side of the house. He has been enjoying his masculinity and brute strength lately. The stump had to go to make the swing safer.


Our favorite babysitter did us the honor of making the trip out to Hood River on Saturday, so we decided to head to Parkdale to check out a newish brewpub and have some time alone. Check out the view from the back patio. Not too bad, huh?





I was going to mention the fact that the odds for the single ladies are extremely good here, but both Jesse and I agreed that even if Shakira walked in the door singing 'Hips don't lie,' it would still not elicit any response from any of these men. 

The beer was delicious, and I had an awesome hummus plate. The menu is pretty small otherwise, because the kitchen is pretty small. It's a straight up brewpub. Cute town, huh? 



We visited the Parkdale hardware store, where Jesse bought a machete...

and I met the two oldest dogs in the world...



and when we got home, this is what we found.




I had left the kids some mail in the mailbox, and they wrote me back. Isn't that sweet?



Our last step before heading back to Portland on Sunday was to Horsefeathers. Horsefeathers had been a pretty regular stop for us the past several years, but with all the new restaurants popping up, we just stopped going.

The back patio was a pretty sweet, and as I was looking at the building, I felt even more inspired to remove the paint from the shingles and let it weather naturally. The waiter extolled his admiration over the owner of the building and what a genius he is at sustainable construction.

We had some hot wings, a salad and beer. I had a dirty martini, because everyone had been posting pictures of martinis on Saturday night on Facebook. Ah, the power of social media. It was pretty good. I'll be back.




I'm pretty much digging this lantern, too.


If you happen to see a lantern like this on Craigslist or the local salvage yard, give me a shout.

No comments:

Post a Comment