Friday, August 23, 2013

Peace, Tranquility, Children, and Consumerism

Something was different this weekend when we arrived home. I was no longer afraid to be in the farmhouse alone. I felt instantly at peace as I walked through the door. My heart filled with joy, knowing that this is the place we've been looking for for so long.

There were some fun packages waiting for us from UPS. I know it's not exactly sustainable, but considering we purchased all of our furnishings and dishes second hand, I felt like I needed to do something a little easier. Clicking "buy" on the computer is just so convenient, and the trips to the hardware store were proving to be more time consuming than just buying the dang kit online.

We couldn't figure out the tire swing, and didn't have the energy for it, with all the projects waiting, so we gave ourselves a little leeway on this one. Get the kids some toys, so we can get to work. Call it a setback. Or hypocricy. Falling into that consumer trap. Who doesn't do it? How do you ignore the constant bombardment of advertising?


Wow, it was easy. It can hold up to 600 pounds. And it's fun.





We are starting to feel the effects of the most recent week of camp. It's not really anything the camp did, it was the fact that my sensitive daughter spent a week at camp with eight 6 year old boys. Boys like to talk about scary things, like ghosts, dragons, monsters. Things that now keep my daughter from wanting to go to bed at night or to sleep in her room.

So I had a visitor at 5:30 in the morning in the form of a 6 year old girl standing at my bedside. She got in the bed, I layed there for about 30 minutes, and realized I wasn't going back to sleep.


My luck - I went downstairs, and this is what I found.




A boy and a girl, just like my own. The girl could not stop watching me. I chose this picture, because I was enthralled with the baby antlers on the boy.

As I was finally drifting back to sleep downstairs, I heard the rumble of feet and once again, a little girl was standing by my side. Sleep will come another night.



No comments:

Post a Comment