Thursday, August 22, 2013

Our week in Portland

Monday night, we were back in Portland and ready for a 4 day week. We did a few things to pass the time.

We had a lemonade stand,




we made homemade pesto from the garden,




we indulged in our favorite cupcakes at St. Cupcake, while I visited a vintage couch at Noun that I finally bought,

we went to Kruger's Farm for an outdoor concert, and I was reminded again how small a town Portland is, as we ran into friends and neighbors, new and old,



we watched a baby snail take some of its first "steps"


and finally, we once again rented a Uhaul to further empty our house and garage of belongings no longer necessary in Portland. The only problem I'm finding with renting a Uhaul, is that I rent it for something specific in mind, only to be thwarted by last minute purchases filling the rental instead (like the vintage couch). So I decided to go for the gusto and rent the biggest trailer they have. I went from a 4x8 trailer to a 6x12, hoping to fill it for one last moving trip.

Let me tell you, there is a BIG difference between the two sizes. Not only is it a terrifying experience, but the fact that the rental guy gave me the thumbs up to go and finding out on a very busy road that not only did they not close the back doors, but they didn't hook up the brake lights, didn't give me much confidence. A guy drove by to tell me the back was open, just as the doors swung open and banged against the side of the trailer. thank goodness I didn't hit anything.

When I finally got going, I found myself unable to turn any corners without taking out anything remotely in the way.



We finally made it back, but not without the kindness of strangers and business owners. We filled it, moved it, unloaded it, and returned the trailer in less than four hours.

No comments:

Post a Comment