Monday, August 18, 2014

Demo - we don't know when to say when

Feb, 2014

So I should probably start off by apologizing for taking such a long break. There has been quite a bit going on and that's kind of caused this little diary to take a back burner to everything. So I'm going to pretend that I haven't stopped writing for 6 months and continue on. It's just easier that way. Just for my own sense of when things actually occurred, I might put a little time stamp somewhere, if that's ok! 



I have a thing about plaster. I really really love it, and embrace the cracks as character. I understand the craftsmanship that went into it. I understand the benefits of soundproofing and the acoustical qualities. But, I have a big issue when it comes to plaster ceilings. I just don't like all of that weight above my head. I worry about the potential for it to fall on my head as I lay sleeping in the middle of the night.

Because we needed to update the electrical, and because the ceilings were in such bad shape, after testing for asbestos, we went into demo mode once again.

First we needed to demo some plaster too far gone in the basement stair area, to allow for plumbing and electrical chases.


Why I thought wearing my favorite scarf and coat is beyond me, but luckily everything comes out in the wash!


Then we headed upstairs to tackle the ceilings. Most of the walls will be left intact and patched and repaired. I have to say that tearing out plaster is a seriously intense, backbreaking job. Wow!



We worked well into the night, comforted that our children were safely at a friend's house, and stopped only to admire the gorgeous sunset over the valley.





No comments:

Post a Comment